Tuesday, June 12, 2007

8. Miss Unpopular

After a pretty relaxing week off I've been sent East this week, normally good for issuing but so far incredibly slow. I've managed quite a few good chats with the public, even had a chat lasting about 20 mins with a guy who had been issued to illegaly as I pointed out when he showed me the ticket (not one of ours I hasten to add). This poor guy had returned to his car in the car park just in time to see a PA slap a ticket on - for being one minute late. He appealed to the council who basically told him to pay up or else so I advised him to appeal to NPAS as I'm damn certain the adjudicator would throw that out as it leaves no scope for time differences between the ticket machine and the drivers watch.



Anyway, he showed me the PCN and the P&D ticket and lo and behold the ticket expired at 10:05 yet the PA started issuing the ticket at 10:04, although it was printed at 10:06 - that is bloody naughty by any standards. I advised him to contact the council again and demand some recompense or take it to the papers (Islington - tut tut tut).



The rest of the day was spent sweating as the humidity rose dramatically, not getting many issues and finally moving to Central for the last couple of hours a that is where the best chance for late shoppers tickets is - I managed to well exceed the 'target' so was quite content.



Today we had one of the interminable team meetings - more of the same old same old - we need more revenue - issue more tickets. Worryingly there was a distinct hint that the targets are likely to be increased (as if we don't have enough trouble with them now) and once again my concerns about the safety of the PA's and the apparent lack of concern by the Council were met with silence. I requested that we work in pairs to cover each other backs but that would mean a drop in revenue apparently so no to that. That peeved me mightily so I've demanded an independant Risk Assessment on our job (as is my right according to the HSE). That went down like a lead balloon - I get the distinct impression that the powers that be don't imagine we can think for ourselves and of course it means that the Council might actually have to do something about our safety (if the assessment goes the way I hope it does).



So now I'm public enemy no. 1 but I really do not care - I know my rights and I'll fight them all the way if I have to - they've grabbed a tiger by the tail :)

PS - just browsed Bill Stickers Blog - if you havn't already go there - the latest post / poem is the muts - keep it up Bill

No comments: