Wednesday, May 23, 2007

1. Here we go

Hi folks, I'm Val, a parking attendant (although everyone still calls us Traffic Wardens) working for a local Council. I have been in the job for a couple of years now, started with the thought that being a girlie I wouldn't get so much grief (and after 2 years I'm still not sure whether I get more or less than my male colleagues, although to date I have never been assaulted), and must say that I really do enjoy the job.

I have been reading some other PA blogs for a few months now (Bill Stickers and C4nkr) and thought I might as well join the pack and have a bash myself. I will keep my location hidden as I have no wish to upset my employers. For that reason photos and examples will be sparse unless I can get some good ones showing the standard of parking without showing any geographical locations, and any I do get will be on my mobile so can't guarantee the quality.

My 'beat' is split into three main areas, which I will call East, West and Central and like most urban locations nowadays, contains a total mix of races, religions, posh areas, working class and some that can nearly be classed as 'no go'. We patrol in our own cars (40p per mile paid thankyou very much) so Joe Public hets very little warning that we are about to descend on any particular area, although a presence is maintained in all areas during 'working hours'

Sods law - my daughter wants to use the PC atm for an MSN session so I'm being booted off - will continue this later :)

No comments: